This page is for the unique recipes we have built up over the years and want you to use. How to make easy herbal & nutritional tonics at home.
Please enjoy and share if you feel they are helpful.
Zest 2 lemons and add the juice from 1 lemon and add to the honey liquid.
Take off the heat and add roughly 15-20 heads of Elderflowers, submerge in the liquid, and cover.
Leave to sit for 12-24 hours, strain, refrigerate and drink within 2-3 days. Yum!
Molasses & Milk
Place 1 cup of milk (of your choice) into a saucepan and add 1 teaspoon of Organic Blackstrap Molasses.
Stir until warm and serve as a hot drink.
Get the benefits of the high mineral content of Molasses.
A great milk drink for growing kids and breastfeeding mums X
Homemade Lemsip – Ginger and Lemon tea
Ginger root kills the germs, lemon coats the throat in acid, kills the germs, breaks down the mucous and provides vitamin C, & honey soothes the throat.
Slice Ginger root, add to a pot and bring to the boil for 10 minutes. Pour the tea into your cup, squeeze in half a lemon from a lemon tree and add Thyme from the garden. Add a teaspoon of honey & drink. Add more water back to the ginger and reuse next time you make it, it will get stronger. Keep using ginger until spent then replace & start again.
Total cost $2 worth of fresh ginger. Honey 0.50c at a stretch. Lemons and Thyme = free. Yum!
Homemade Spicy Tomato Juice with Anti-inflammatory Benefits
Take either pre-made Tomato juice or a can of whole peeled Tomatoes and place in the blender. If you have fresh Tomato’s on hand great – use them.
Add 1 Teaspoon of Cider vinegar
Add either a 1/2 Teaspoon of The Apothecary’s Anti-inflammatory powder or
A pinch of cayenne, a bigger pinch of ginger, 1 Teaspoon of Turmeric and 1/2 Teaspoon of black pepper.
Add a pinch of salt.
Mix and Enjoy daily for the anti-inflammatory benefits of these spices.
½ c almonds, ½ c walnuts, ½ c hazelnuts, ¼ c pumpkin seeds, ¼ c flaxseed (linseed), ¼ c chia seeds, ¼ sunflower seeds, 2 heaped T cocoa powder, 2 heaped T coconut oil/butter, 2 t molasses, 3 t honey/maple syrup, a pea size amount of vanilla pod/1/4 t vanilla essence, a handful of shredded coconut.
Grind the nuts and seeds in a food processor until it makes a fine flour. Add the coconut oil and mix until the mixture becomes sticky, then add cocoa, molasses, honey and vanilla according to taste. Place bowl in fridge for approximately 2 hours, then roll the mixture into balls and roll in shredded coconut.
These are a great snack for the whole family. Use what nuts andseeds you have andcnahge it by the season. Enjoy!
- Choose a large pot or use a pressure cooker for a faster broth. Place bones in the pot & cover with water. If you’re making beef or lamb broth, brown the meat before putting it into the pot. Leave room at the top of the pot for water to boil.
- Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to water and 2 teaspoons of salt prior to cooking (you can use less salt if you are on a low salt diet). This helps pull out the nutrients from the bones.
- Add in vegetables, such as onions, garlic, carrots and celery.
- Bring the water to a boil then reduce the heat. Simmer for at least 6 hours. Skim off fat and sludge on top as it arises of leave the fat if you prefer it. Chicken bones can cook for 24 hours and beef bones can cook for up to 48 hours. Fish stock requires the least amount of time and 1-2 hours is adequate.
- Towards the end of the boil, add other vegetables and herbs for flavour such as Parsley, Rosemary, Thyme or Bay leaf.
- Remove from heat strain through a colander.
Making broth is a good thing to do on a day when you are at home doing other things, so you can tend to it as necessary. Broth extracts minerals and collagen from the bones of the animal. Vegeatbles add minerals & antioxidants. You can freeze it in ice cubes for later use. Enjoy!
Night-time Sleep Smoothie
Take 1 heaped teaspoon of Valerian powder
1 heaped teaspoon of Withania/Ashwaganda powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
A pinchof cocoa
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
Mix into milk of your choice and slowly bring to heat in a pot
Add 1/2 teaspooon sugar to taste
Enjoy as a night time sleep smoothie!